Sunday 25 January 2015

More tree trimming and the saga of the saw

Today was fairly good weather and I continued to trim the trees and remove ivy from the path leading to the shed. There has been a lot of ivy in recent years. I used it to cover the old fence, now replaced, and it probably also held it up. It was a home for snails though.

The garden is a mass of branches now. Because my chain saw stopped working yesterday, first thing I went to B&Q looking for a reciprocating saw. I thought the only one in stock looked too heavy, I settled on a Black and Decker  Scorpion saw. I will put a picture from amazon below, although of course I didn't buy it from there, but happen to have the picture handy.



The scorpion did the job of cutting branches brilliantly and is quite easy to handle with one hand if necessary, and with care. It is much lighter than a chain saw, and probably safer though slower as it has less power.

Late in the day the Scorpion died a death. Perhaps I over-worked it but that is disappointing, and I will take it back, probably tomorrow. On the other hand a liberal oiling seems to have revived my chain saw.

This opens up a delightful range of opportunities.

a I can take the Scorpion back and ask for a replacement. I did find it handy.
b I can ask for a refund instead, and perhaps buy a replacement on-line cheaper.
c I can ask for a refund and manage with the chain-saw for the current work.
d. I can ask for a refund and look more closely at a reciprocating saw. I really think a cordless one would be easier to use.

Who says free will is an illusion!

That's enoughit for today. I will try to chip the branches tomorrow if its fine and there's time, then we are out for dinner with friends tomorrow evening.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment