Tuesday 3 March 2015

At last a sunny day, time to buy wood for raised beds

It is sunny at last, though a colder few days are forecast before a warmer spell. I am back from a winter-break. At last its time to buy some wood ready to start making new raised beds, at the side of the house under the poly-tunnel frame.


try to keep stray animals off the lawn!


First I measured the space and drew a very rough plan to work out how much timber I need.

There are a number of alternatives for the wood itself. You can get it cut to size in a DIY store like B&Q or Wickes for example. Make sure it is treated to resist rotting. I prefer to cut it  to size myself on site with a saw, which allows for adjustment once you see how 'the land lies'. 

The thickness of wood you choose depends in part on how permanent you think will be the raised bed.  I find I wish to move things around after a few years, so there is little point in investing in big thick planks. In addition, if you make the mistake of using untreated wood (I have) it will quickly rot and won't last long anyway.


an existing raised border  made from decking board


I prefer to use decking boards. These are not the cheapest option but have the advantages that they cut easily and look a little more decorative. However my local garden centre, which has changed hands, is 'out of stock' at present (seems a recurrent theme). So I settled for plan B, which was ready cut 'gravel boards' that I picked up from a local Wickes. Gravel boards are used as a protective spacer between the ground and fencing, so are treated to resist absorbing water.


my new timber waiting for assembly


You can use metal fixing brackets for a solid job but screws or even nails will do. I find  screws are convenient unless its a tricky site when I may resort to brackets. Wooden pegs into the ground can help stabilise the structure but aren't essential. Once filled with soil the bed won't move around much!


old bed awaiting removal: note solitary first dwarf daffodil of spring, in the wrong place!


I bought six gravel boards (each about 8 feet of 2.3m)and some screws and I have the wood ready for a further improvement of the weather. I will let you know how I get on.



snowdrops in a sheltered spot in the front garden, blurred by blowing in the wind


Spring will soon be here!

Finally I was sent a link for the you-tube site ;Green Garden that has useful gardening videos.. Thanks Lanang,  (@LanangSiswo    on twitter). 




    


No comments:

Post a Comment